We wanted to give you a bit of an update about what’s been going on at Activate. Well we have been busy and as the UK braced for a lockdown amidst the pandemic we wanted to take stock of what we have done so far and find reasons to celebrate.
Looking back at our achievements:
- We launched Activate in the North East, through two film screenings and panel events
- We launched our application process for the Activate Fund and received 20 applications from brilliant women from across the political spectrum
- We conducted our first round of interviews
- We launched our national Crowdfunder
- We have over 170 members within the Activate Collective
- We have produced two inspirational promotional videos, one of which you can see here.
- And we raised an incredible £50,980 since our crowdfunder opened!
- We are proud signatories of a joint letter produced by the Fawcett Society, which calls for the involvement of women in the current government decision making process. You can read the letter in full here.
Where to now?
Well as I am sure many of you know the May Elections have been postponed for a year due to the Coronavirus pandemic. As mentioned above, we had already begun the interview process for prospective candidates. Our intention is to finish the interview process and select the successful recipients to receive funding. The elections may have been moved to 2021, but we still have every intention to fund these brilliant women to stand. To read more about the Government’s decision to postpone the election please click here.
Given the postponement of the elections and the current crisis, we are currently taking stock of the other strands of our work (funding community activists for community projects and raising funds through the Crowdfunder). We are considering our next steps - as ever you will be the first to know, once we have an update.
We’ve had a busy start to the year. We’ve hit many milestones and connected with so many of you over our collective vision of seeing powerful women in elected roles. We want to thank you immensely for all of the support you have shown us so far, sharing our application process, the Crowdfunder and giving your time to help with sifting applications.
Thank you once more for your support. Please stay safe and stay healthy.
Sending you all an abundance of love.