Here at the Virgin Money Foundation, we’re on a mission to support community regeneration by backing the people who can make big changes happen locally.
In partnership with Clay Hill Trust we are launching the 2018 North East Fund. We want to hear from community organisations in the North East of England working to promote long-term change in the neighbourhoods that need it most.
We would like to encourage applications from voluntary organisations working within their local neighbourhood to:
- Help disadvantaged young people to find and keep a job. While we understand the value of programmes that support young people to make them work ready, we are only funding applications that move young people into sustainable employment and, as a result, applications will be judged on the numbers of young people that gain employment.
- Help homeless people or people at risk of homelessness to find a new home. We are interested in supporting applications from organisations working to increase access to affordable, good quality, rented properties particularly those bringing empty properties back into use.
- We are also looking for ambitious, locally-led community enterprises, providing social and economic benefit to an area, who want to explore new ways of generating income and, by doing so, achieve greater impact in their neighbourhoods. You might be interested in developing a new social enterprise, growing an existing social enterprise, supporting more beneficiaries, expanding a service into a neighbouring town or working with completely new clients. With the Foundation’s support you will be able to turn these ideas into action. The North East Fund will provide organisations with grants of up to £50,000 to be spent on staff time for scoping, designing and launching the new work or the start-up costs of a new enterprise – please remember we can’t fund capital costs through this programme.
Our grants can be for an amount between £10,000 and £50,000. Grant awards are to cover running costs (not capital costs) and are for one year only. In addition, funds cannot be used to cover marketing costs, for example, to pay for advertising or promotional activity.
When can you apply?
You can apply for a grant at any time between the 16th April and 10th November 2018. Requests will be considered in date order and awards will be agreed at the various board meetings held during 2018 and January 2019.
Can my organisation apply to the North East Fund?
- We fund charitable activity and expect to get applications from Charities, Social Enterprises, Community Interest Companies and Industrial and Provident Societies.
- We are unlikely to fund national programmes or organisations that are not already “rooted” in a deprived community in the North East.
- We are interested in the regeneration of physical places and will only fund programmes benefiting the community as a whole and not communities of interest.
We'd love to support projects that:
- Have strong local roots.
- Will make a real and measurable impact in the parts of the North East that need it most.
- Have systems in place to measure this impact.
- Have plans in place for when the money comes to an end.
What isn't eligible?
There are some causes we can’t support
- Anything that isn't defined as charitable by law.
- International appeals.
- Sponsorship or marketing.
- Projects looking to raise money that’s already been spent.
- Services that central or local government would normally pay for.
- Appeals that only benefit one person.
- Animal welfare. We’re big animal fans, but the Foundation’s all about people.
- The day-to-day costs of schools and other educational establishments.
- Medical treatment or research, hospices and medical centres.
- Promotion of religious political or advocacy-based groups.
- The costs of overseas travel, minibuses, holidays and outings.
If you have already received two years funding from the North East Fund for the same project you cannot reapply for a third year. However, you are welcome to apply for funding for a different project.
Get in touch
The Virgin Money Foundation. Charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales Company No. 9457101. Charity No. 1161290. Registered Office: Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE3 4PL VIRGIN and the Virgin Signature logo are registered trade marks of Virgin Enterprises Limited and are used under licence.